What our role is
The EDA’s Research and Analysis Department (RAD) aims to:
- Help to build EDA students’ capacity to understand and analyse foreign policy issues
- Act as a trusted, impactful source of analysis for the UAE government
- Contribute to international debates on issues relevant to the UAE’s foreign policy and diplomacy
Who we are
The Research and Analysis Department is a small but growing international team of research faculty. We collaborate with the EDA’s academic faculty, the EDA’s student diplomats, and with external experts, both within the UAE and worldwide. We are currently recruiting research faculty.
What we research
The Research and Analysis Department has launched two research programmes:
- Peace and Security in the Middle East and North Africa region, examining relevant threats to the region’s security and the role of international diplomacy in improving the prospects for peace in the short, medium and long term.
- Energy, Climate Change and Sustainable Development, focusing on key global issues around energy, natural resources and the environment that affect the UAE, and examining the role of diplomacy in supporting low-emission and climate-resilient development in the UAE and worldwide.
Two more programmes will be launched over the coming year:
- UAE-Asia relations, examining the state of the UAE’s relations with Asia and what can be done to further strengthen them.
- 21st Century Diplomacy, examining what great diplomacy looks like and what makes for a great diplomat, in terms of the skills they need and how to train them.
What we do
We strive to look to tailor our activities so that they are as relevant and impactful as possible for our different “audiences”, being the EDA’s students, the UAE government and the wider expert community.
The Research and Analysis Department produces a range of research papers:
EDA Insight is the EDA’s flagship policy brief series, published for government or general audiences. EDA Insights focus on issues relevant to UAE foreign policy and practice. Some Insights will be for public distribution and others will be for the UAE government use only.
EDA Working Papers provide a more in-depth look at an issue and tend to cater for a more specialist reader, whether within government or outside.
The Research and Analysis Department contributes to the EDA’s wider events programme.
We hold roundtables designed for subject matter experts from UAE-based organisations, as well as public seminars and lectures.
To see past EDA publications and events, click on the individual research programme tabs on the left.
The Research and Analysis Department’s research faculty collaborates with the EDA’s academic faculty to support the development of EDA students’ research and analytical capabilities. We co-manage our post-graduate students’ research training and capstone projects and also engage our students in the research we undertake.