Programme on Peace and Security in the MENA region
Director Research and Analysis or Senior Research Fellow
The research programme on Peace and Security in the MENA region caters to three distinct but overlapping sets of ‘consumers’, as with all of the research programmes in the Emirates Diplomatic Academy (EDA). These are:
- The EDA’s students of diplomacy, who are for the most part existing or trainee diplomats, through supporting their research and engaging them in our research;
- The UAE government, through providing case studies and analysis and facilitating discussion with external experts; and
- The wider expert and interested public, through publishing analysis and organizing relevant discussion events.
The EDA is looking to strengthen the MENA research programme by recruiting an additional Senior Research Fellow or Research Fellow (depending on experience and qualifications), with particular expertise in Iran and its foreign policy as well as interest in wider issues related to peace and security in the Arabian Gulf. This individual’s role will be to:
- Conduct research related to the promotion of peace and security in the MENA region, with a focus on Iran, its foreign policy and the Arabian Gulf, but with the flexibility to write on a range of issues relevant to peace and security in the MENA region;
- Manage a wide-ranging research programme, including organizing related events and managing contributions by external experts;
- Support learning objectives of students/diplomats at the Academy, both through the provision of training, designing research materials targeted at them, and engaging them in the development of the EDA’s research;and
- Ensure compliance with relevant policies and procedures and ensure quality management of products.
MENA Programme management:
- Identify a realistic, prioritized but impactful programme of work based around the role description set out above, in collaboration and coordination with another Senior Research Fellow on the MENA programme
- Plan the use of resources to deliver that programme, using a mix of his/her own research time, some limited additional EDA research resource, some of the EDA students’ research capacity, and external resources, including visiting fellows and external experts
- Identify and engage possible partners to collaborate on aspects of the research agenda
- Manage the delivery of the work programme,liaising with internal and external stakeholders
- Build working relations with relevant government and non-government experts in the UAE who are working on these issues
- Conduct his/her own research on elements of the research programme
- Produce research papers and develop multimedia formats for communicating the results of research, including infographs, video and other formats
- Organise speakers, seminars and workshops related to the research programme
- Engage EDA students in the research programme and tailor some output towards their needs
Contribution to wider goals of Research Department and the EDA:
- Contribute to the wider strategic planning of the Research and Analysis Department, including planning work that falls outside the core research programmes
- Produce small amount of research (particularly issue briefs) that are not part of the MENA research programme
- Where requested, act as a supervisor of EDA students’ research projects and deliver short trainings
- Contribute to the wider operations and success of the EDA
- For a Senior Research Fellow, a PhD in a relevant field is usually required. In some cases, where the candidate has extensive experience in a relevant field, they will be considered without a PhD.
- A Research Fellow must have at least a Masters’ degree in a relevant field from a respected academic institution. A PhD would be a strong advantage.
Education and Relevant Experience
- Senior Research Fellows: Candidates should have a PhD and a minimum of 5 years’ experience. Candidates who do not have a PhD may be considered but they must have a Master’s degree and at least 10 years of relevant experience. All candidates should have experience producing policy-relevant analysis for government.
- Research Fellows: Candidates must have a Master’s degree and be able to demonstrate a minimum of 3-4 years’ experience in conducting relevant research and analysis, whether in government or in a research institution. Candidates with a relevant PhD do not need to have 3-4 years’ additional experience but they should be able to demonstrate some relevant experience in producing policy-relevant analysis for government.
- A proven record of performance in producing high quality and influential analysis.
- Proven expertise on Iran and its foreign policy.
- Strong experience analyzing issues related to peace and security in the MENA region.
- Excellent written English.
- Able to read Arabic, with excellent written Arabic a strong advantage.
- Strong, clear, and effective written and oral communication skills, including an understanding of how to convey information and ideas to senior government officials, as well as to students.
- An innovative approach to communicating information and ideas.
- Affinity with the foreign policy goals of the United Arab Emirates.
- Ability to work in an environment dealing with sensitive information.
- Ability and eagerness to work in a start-up environment.
- Flexibility, and willingness to adapt to evolving needs and priorities.
- Passionate about analysis being impactful and relevant to the needs of government and leadership.
- An appreciation for the mission and culture of the Academy.
- Strong team player, with a keen interest in collaborating to ensure the success of the EDA.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the required duties, responsibilities and job specifications / requirements