Director of Research and Analysis
The Research and Analysis Department of the Emirates Diplomatic Academy (EDA) is looking to establish a cutting edge research programme on 21st Century Diplomacy. The programme will examine both the practice and training of diplomacy. The programme’s goals will be:
- to contribute to international understanding of trends in diplomacy
- to provide practical insights on diplomatic best practice, both in the UAE and more widely
- to develop our understanding of the skills and competencies required by the 21st century diplomat
- to deepen awareness of the most effective ways to train and coach diplomats
While much of the programme’s output is expected to be for an international public, some of the programme’s outputs will be specifically for use by the UAE government only.
The role of the Senior Research Fellow will be:
- to establish and act as the Programme Manager for the 21st Century Diplomacy research programme
- to both generate and commission high quality research, both for international and UAE audiences
- to organize and/or assist in the organization of related events
- to support the training of diplomats at the Academy, both through using his/her research to inform teaching faculty and occasionally through teaching and supervising student research
21st Century Diplomacy Programme management:
- Identify a realistic, prioritized but impactful programme of work based around the four programme goals set out above, in collaboration with the Research Director and the EDA’s team working on diplomatic practice and training
- Plan the use of resources to deliver that programme, using a mix of his/her own research time, some limited additional EDA research resource, some of the EDA students’ research capacity, and external resources, including visiting fellows and external experts
- Identify and engage possible partners to collaborate on aspects of the research agenda
- Manage the delivery of the work programme, liaising with internal and external stakeholders
21st Century Diplomacy Research:
- Conduct his/her own research on elements of the research programme
- Produce research papers and develop multimedia formats for communicating the results of research, including infographs, video and other formats
- Develop case studies of best practice in UAE diplomacy
- Contribute to the development of a diplomacy handbook
- Organise speakers, seminars and workshops related to the research programme
- Develop tools that can be used for training diplomats
- Engage EDA students in the research programme
Contribution to wider goals of Research Department and the EDA:
- Contribute to the wider strategic planning of the Research and Analysis Department, including planning work that falls outside the core research programmes
- Produce small amount of research (particularly issue briefs) that are not part of the 21st Century Diplomacy research programme
- Where requested, act as a supervisor of EDA students’ research projects and deliver short trainings
- Contribute to the wider operations and success of the EDA
- At least a Masters’ degree in a relevant field from a respected academic institution.
- Relevant PhD is an advantage but not required.
- Experience either working as a diplomat or working closely with diplomats (Senior Research Fellow will need to be able to demonstrate 8+ years’ experience or 4+ years’ experience plus a relevant PhD)
- Will ideally have worked on developing training for diplomats or will have some background in examining pedagogical issues
- Good understanding of the practice of diplomacy and trends in diplomacy.
- A proven record of performance in producing high quality and influential analysis.
- Proven programme management capabilities.
- Ideally will have a good understanding of pedagogical issues.
- Excellent written English (Arabic is a strong advantage), a well as an understanding of how to convey information and ideas to senior government officials, as well as to students.
- An innovative approach to communicating information and ideas.
- Ability and eagerness to work in a start-up environment.
- Creativity and dynamism.
- Strong team player, with a keen interest in collaborating to ensure the success of the department and the EDA as a whole.
- Ability to work in an environment dealing with sensitive information.
- Flexibility, and willingness to adapt to evolving needs and priorities.
- Passionate about analysis being impactful and relevant to the needs of government.
- An appreciation for the mission and culture of the Academy.
- Commitment to supporting the strengthening of the diplomacy of the United Arab Emirates.