On behalf of the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MoFAIC), Emirates Diplomatic Academy (EDA) is accepting scholarship applications for overseas universities from UAE nationals aspiring to join the Ministry's diplomatic corps.
EDA’s programme aims to provide future diplomats with well-rounded education in areas of strategic importance to the Ministry. The programme will equip candidates with specialised knowledge of global and regional issues, particularly those relevant to the UAE and the wider Middle East.
Upon completing their undergraduate degrees, the graduates will return to the UAE and enrol in EDA’s Post-Graduate Diploma in UAE Diplomacy and International Relations programme.
To apply, click here and fill out the application form before Thursday, 31 May 2018.
Eligibility and Conditions of Acceptance
Those wishing to apply for the scholarship programme must meet the following criteria and be willing to undertake the following:
- Hold a high school GPA of 85% or above
- Hold an IELTS score of 6.0 or above
- Work for MoFAIC upon graduation for a period equal to the years of overseas study, provided this is not less than three years
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or equivalent throughout the university study period
- Complete National Service before undertaking the overseas studies (if applicable)
- Attain no less than 12 credits per semester
- Not change university or course specialisation without the official approval of MoFAIC
- Grant authorisation for MoFAIC to access their grades and transcripts
- Enrol in a summer training or work placement as determined by the Ministry
- Not carry out any media activities without prior permission from MoFAIC
- Not join or associate with any political organisation
- Not engage in unethical behaviour or any act that may harm the reputation of the UAE abroad
- Not engage in any activities that are incompatible with the teachings of Islam or the traditions and values of the UAE
- Not accept any scholarships or stipends from other organisations
- Not marry non-Emiratis without prior permission from the Ministry
- Not work for other organisations, regardless of whether a financial reward is offered, even during personal spare time
- Not disclose information on matters that should remain confidential by their nature or by special instructions
- Sign contracts with MoFAIC and the General Command of the UAE Armed Forces
*Note: Admission procedures will include additional tests and conditions.
Recipients of the scholarship are entitled to the following:
- Tuition fees for the entire undergraduate degree
- Fees for language courses:
• In case a foreign language is not conditional in the recipient’s university admission:
o The recipient is entitled to a language course in the duration of a minimum of three (3) months
• In case a foreign language is conditional in the recipient’s university admission:
o For English, the recipient is entitled to a language course for the duration of a maximum of 1.5 years
o For other languages, the recipient is entitled to a language course for the duration of a maximum of two (2) years
- Monthly scholarship salary:
• For single individuals: a minimum monthly salary of AED15,000
• For married individuals: a minimum monthly salary of AED18,000
- Health insurance for the recipients and their dependants (including husband/wife and children)
- Travel allowance (annual)
- Books allowance (annual)
- Allowance for study requirements (determined by an official letter from the university)
- Housing allowance within the monthly scholarship salary allowance
- Economy class ticket
• For single individuals: two (2) tickets per year
• For married individuals: one (1) ticket for the recipient and one (1) for each dependant (including spouse and children) per year
Candidate's Journey to Becoming Part of the UAE Diplomatic Corps
The journey to becoming an Emirati diplomat after obtaining an offer from an international university follows these five steps:
1. Applicants submit their applications.
2. The most suitable applicants are shortlisted and contacted.
3. The selected applicants’ interests and strengths are evaluated and matched with the available programmes available at the educational institutions.
4. During the period of study, the student enrols in vocational training courses to acquire the necessary skills to complete the programme.
5. The Ministry takes additional measures to support the process of joining the diplomatic corps and facilitate the graduates’ entry into the diplomatic work environment. Those who have completed their studies abroad enrol in the Postgraduate Diploma in UAE Diplomacy and International Relations programme, offered by EDA, to advance their preparedness for their future careers.